Monday, September 28, 2009

Art Prize- it was art-licious!

Oh my gosh is my computer connection S~L~O~W today.... since i started to download these pictures, i've done 2 loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, raised some chickens & taken the bar exam... geesh! Anyway this weekend was the start of ART PRIZE in Grand Rapids, MI. Google it for more info! We headed down there Sunday & WOW, was it a gorgeous day!! The weather was PERFECT... I guess that's why there were 9 bazillion people down there!
This is my view for a large portion of the day....
Here are darling & i standing by a giant wall of plastic garbage! See the legs in the top rt portion of the picture? yeah- there was a section where you could crawl up on this thing & right at that "step" was written in giant letters "DO NOT CLIMB ON ARTWORK"... see how well people listen?! All kinds of parents were helping their kids up there so they could have their picture taken... Does no one think rules apply to them anymore, seriously? The Mr. & I are "rules people" & that just drives us nuts. I think partly because we have people that are in our life (unfortunately) that do NOT follow rules & the rest of us pay for it... Ok, Sister Me is gonna get down off my soap box & quit my preachin' now!
Yeah, i had a jacket, you never know when you;re going to get cold in MI & that purse... or small piece of luggage i feel the need to lug everywhere! Bee sting? I've got an epi pen, dirty hands? i've got wipes, 4 sticks of lip gloss, pictures of my daughter as a baby, pens, camera, blackberry, a can opener, inflatable pillow, and the kitchen sink. If we suddenly became homeless darling daughter & i could live in it too!
there was a giant send off of thousands? hundreds? of paper airplanes in rainbow colors & darling was so excited to find one! We missed the actual take-off, but there were airplanes ALL over! Don't you love how her plane coordinates with her outfit?
A waterfall of melted glass- prettier in person! of course some boys were picking up pieces of it & poking each other with the shards 'cause 12 year old boys are smart like that!
Here are darling & i sitting on some crazy fabric mushroom thingy....
then we ate lunch with Stevie Wonder....
then back out for some more sculptures along the Grand River:
The Loc Ness monster:
a GIANT table & chairs made by the artist that founded "sticks" furniture. Do you know of sticks furniture? If not, google it, such cool art-furniture!!!
This stuff was HUGE, it was raised by a crane on top of a bridge downtown! As we were walking under it I heard some little girl saying "mommy if that falls it's gonna fall right on us"- oh NO, a child after my artsy-brother's heart! I have a brother that suffers from anxiety disorder & this girl was speaking his language!
Some funny faces on the side of a building:
There was a lot of art & it was FABULOUS to see how many people came downtown to support this incredible event, but the crowds made it hard to see everything, that & the fact i didn't grab a map or decide ahead of time what i'd like to see... planning isn't really my thing! :) If you're in the area- head down & check it out, if you're not: google it & see it online without the crowds! i would post more pictures, but i don't have another 9 hours to load 6 more pictures...
This Friday: the movie "Whip It", can't wait for that!! The mister & I watched: "Changeling" with Angelina Jolie & John Malkovich on DVD. I LOVED it, it's a true story & i almost always love those. It's a dark & sad story, but Angie (she told me i could call her that" did a great job as a mother!
Ok, It's now 12:20 & i have got stuff to do... Have a great day & i'll be back tomorrow with some bad egg salad...

1 comment:

Kugo said...

Cool art show! I wish we had something like that here. Who am I kidding? We probably do and I never noticed. Your daughter is too cute for words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...